The Department of Building and Development Standards mission is to promote quality growth and to ensure design standards are met throughout the City of Greer. We verify that minimum construction standards are followed and protect and provide for the health, safety and welfare of all Greer citizens and the environment.
The department serves a variety of functions for the City of Greer including:
- Building Inspections and Codes Enforcement - by providing for the health safety and welfare of the general public through the equal enforcement of all applicable codes and ordinances.
- Engineering - by maintaining the Municipal Paving Program, Stormwater Program and City Infrastructure Projects
- GIS - by maintaining the City's Geographical Information System to provide fast and easy access to accurate digital and hard-copy mapping data, as well as computerized geographic analysis services.
- Planning & Zoning - by promoting the City's growth using comprehensive planning, land development, and historic preservation coordination and services. The Planning & Zoning Division also coordinates and handles all related Boards and Commission for the City of Greer.
- Stormwater - by protecting our waterways from stormwater pollutants generated by construction sites or illicit discharges from commercial or industrial sites,
Staff are ready to assist with everything you need to know about commercial and residential building codes and permitting, zoning issues, nuisance/abatement, and land development. The City of Greer’s Planning Commission, Construction Board of Appeals, and Zoning Board of Appeals also operate out of the Building and Development Standards Department.