Building & Code Enforcement
What We Do
The Building Codes division of the Building and Development Standards Department develops and maintains city ordinances concerning installation and maintenance of building, electrical, mechanical, gas, plumbing, and other systems. Division employees supervise and perform inspections of buildings to ensure compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and city ordinances, and develop code change.
Division Supervisor Ruthie Helms
Division supervisor Ruthie Helms plans, organizes and administers activities of the building inspections program. She also:
- Administers compliance with City’s regulatory codes
- Assists the Fire Marshal with maintenance inspections on existing buildings
- Conducts building plan reviews to determine code compliance before the issuance of permit
- Inspects old and dangerous structures for compliance with standard housing code and unsafe building abatement code
- Interprets and explains codes, ordinances and regulations to contractors, homeowners and other interested parties
- Investigates and responds to complaints related to violations of City ordinances, ensuring subsequent compliance
- Oversees site visits for code compliance and inspections
- Responds to citizen questions
- Schedules public hearings and maintains a library of codes adopted for public inspection
The office is also over the Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals.