- Quick Links
Greer Heritage Museum
106 South Main Street
Greer, S.C. 29650
View Google Map
Hours of Operation
10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
To learn more about the history of the Greater Greer area, a visit to the Greer Heritage Museum is a must. The museum has moved into the former Greer City Hall building (which was originally the Greer Post Office built in 1935) and offers expanded exhibits that give visitors a glimpse at Greer's rich history.
Programs and Exhibits
The museum also offers a library for historical and genealogical research, as well as a classroom/theater for showing short documentaries of local history. Children will enjoy interactive displays scattered throughout the exhibits. The Greer Heritage Museum is staffed by volunteer docents.
For children there is a scavenger hunt to locate items in the museum during their visit. For further information, call the museum located at 106 S. Main St at 877-3377. Summer hours (through August 31) are: Friday 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.. There is no charge for admittance to the museum or the programs.
Celebrating Black History: Telling Our Stories
Storyteller Stephanie Pepps
Saturday, February 7 at 11 a.m.
Storyteller Stephanie Pepps will tell Black folk tales. Pepps, who is children’s minister at St, Matthew United Methodist Church, tells stories for all ages.
Author & Storyteller Laura Smith
Saturday, February 21 at 1 p.m.
Laura Smith will present a program of original stories. Retired from Greenville County Schools, Smith has written children’s stories, poems, and published two books. After the program she will sell and sign her books “Steps of Yesterday” and “Samidi’s Trunk,” a book for children about bullying. The book signing is from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Both programs are open to the public at no charge. For more information call the museum at 864-877-3377.
Long before it ended its use as Greer City Hall in 2008, the building served as the city's post office, constructed in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Prior to its construction, the post office had leased space downtown, including a location beside the railroad tracks on Trade Street across from the Piedmont and Northern Depot. The service window from that post office has been restored and is now part of the museum's exhibits.
An interesting feature of the building is the lobby mural painted in 1940 by Winfred R. Walkley as part of the WPA Federal Art Project. The painting, titled "Cotton and Peach Growing," celebrated the major crops of that time. The mural was covered by paneling when the building was refurbished as city hall in 1968, but was uncovered when the museum began its renovation in 2008.
Features of the original post office are the terrazo floor, the civil service bulletin boards, a skylight with original shade, and an observation point for the postal inspector.
A plaque denoting the building's spot on the National Register of Historic Places was installed in 2011, completing a three-year application process.