Accommodations Tax Grant
The City of Greer annually accepts applications for the Accommodations Tax Grants. These grants are provided to eligible projects through revenue received by the City of Greer for its share of the 2% lodging tax levied by the State of South Carolina. These monies may only be used for activities related to tourism in specific categories.
- Advertising and promotion of tourism so as to develop and increase tourist attendance through the generation of publicity.
- Promotion of the arts and cultural events.
- Construction, maintenance and operation of facilities for civic and cultural activities including
construction and maintenance of access and the nearby roads and utilities for the facilities.
- The criminal justice system, law enforcement, fire protection, solid waste collection and health
facilities when required to serve tourists and tourist facilities. This is based on the estimated
percentage of cost directly attributed to tourism.
- Public facilities such as restrooms, dressing rooms, parks, and parking lots.
- Tourist shuttle transportation.
- Control and repair of waterfront erosion, including beach re-nourishment.
- The operating of visitor information centers.
An Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee, mandated by the State of South Carolina, reviews applications and makes recommendations to City Council for the award of these funds. These expenditures are also reviewed by the State of South Carolina’s Tourism Expenditure Review Committee (TERC) who looks to distinguish between events attended primarily by those in the local community from those events that are designed for and attended primarily by non-residents who come from outside the community.
Grant requests for the 2020-21 fiscal year must be received by March 18, 2022.
- Entities applying must be a nonprofit organization or represent a nonprofit organization.
- Applicants must provide a 25% match in funds. In-kind labor and contributions can be used
toward the match.
- Applicants must provide a budget showing revenues and expenditures when submitting their
applications and a closing report with actual revenues and expenditures before July 1, 2022.
- Any violation of the guidelines by the applicant shall result in the following:
a) All funds received by the applicant shall be immediately returned to the city.
b) The applicant shall be prohibited from applying for future discretionary funds.