Benson Automotive Kids Planet
Dedicated on April 15, 2021, Benson Automotive Kids Planet carries on the City of Greer's commitment to providing recreational opportunities for all ages in a safe and pleasant setting.
The facility is located on the site of the original Kids Planet and Kids Planet Too playgrounds, which were funded and constructed by the Greer Community more than 20 years ago. The cutting-edge playgrounds with wood play structures and picnic shelters quickly became a favorite of families across the upstate.
As that original facility approached its end of life, the City of Greer launched plans for a new cutting edge playground for a new generation. The Parks and Recreation Department worked with Alta Cunningham Design to lay the groundwork for the new Kids Planet. That process included sessions with local elementary school students to collect their ideas about playground themes and play structures. A community workshop then opened the planning to all children and adults.
The original Kids Planet closed following Labor Day in 2019 and the site was completely razed, graded and prepared for a new life. Safer plastic and plexiglass play structures were installed, including zip lines, hillside slides and large age-appropriate play structures in two fenced areas. Paved walking trails circle the site with exercise stations spread intermittently for the health conscious. A misting station and picnic shelters were included to keep visitors cool and refreshed.
Greer businessman Jim Benson was a major donor to the project and the facility that now bears his name.
Kids Planet Shelter Rules
- Kids Planet is closed every Wednesday from 7:00am-12:00pm for maintenance.
- Kids Planet is open from dawn to dusk. Greer Police will walk through at night to make sure the facility is vacant.
- All children should be accompanied by an adult. Please supervise children as they play.
- Equipment is designed for ages 2 to 12 years old. The safety rating of the equipment does not apply to children outside these ages.
- All helmets, drawstrings or accessories must be removed prior to entering playground area.
- No skates, bikes, hoverboards or scooters are allowed.
- Warning: Play surfaces may become hot during warmer weather.
- No pets are allowed inside Kids Planet at any time.
- No glass is allowed on the playground.
- Food or drink must be consumed outside the play areas.
- Shoes are required.
- Keep mulch in its place and off slides and decks.
- Baseball cleats are not to be worn on the slides.
- Please dispose of trash in proper receptacles.
- There is no smoking inside the playground. Dispose of cigarette butts in trash receptacles.
Adults are responsible for setting a good example and for making sure all children obey these rules. Please leave Kids Planet cleaner than when you arrived.
Kids Planet Shelter Rentals
Whether it is for a family gathering or a birthday party, a Kids Planet Shelter is the perfect location for your event.
Kids Planet Shelters may be rented in two-hour increments year-round. Please note that Kids Planet is closed every Wednesday from 7:00am-12:00pm for maintenance.
Rental fees for City of Greer Residents are $15 per small pavilion (with two tables to accommodate as many as 15 people) and $25 per large pavilion (with four wheelchair accessible tables to accommodate as many as 40 people).
Rental fees for Non-City of Greer Residents are $25 per small pavilion (with two tables to accommodate as many as 15 people) and $35 per large pavilion (with four wheelchair accessible tables to accommodate as many as 40 people).
To reserve a shelter at Kids Planet, please visit the following link: Kids Planet Reservations
If you are unable to access the above link or if you prefer to pay with cash or check, please visit us Monday through Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm at our Parks and Recreation office located at:
446 Pennsylvania Avenue Greer, SC 29650.
For more information, please contact: